Blossom end rot… a lot

Blossom end rot... a lot.

We were so excited about our new raised beds, that we selected a few too many tomato seedlings at the farmer’s market.  We especially selected a lot of paste tomatoes (“Sicilian” and “Sausage” varieties) that turned out to be indeterminate varieties, meaning they grew vines all over the place and basically turned into a tomato jungle.

The problem is that tomatoes are heavy feeders, and even though we used an excellent soil blend with lots of compost in it, these new beds didn’t have adequate calcium for good tomato growth.  Good garden practice is to put agricultural lime on future tomato beds the previous fall.  We just moved here in April, and we decided to wing it and do what we could this year.

The result is a lot of blossom end rot on our tomatoes.  That’s when the bottom end of the tomato turns squishy and brown and makes the tomato inedible.  Greer pretty liberally sprayed calcium carbonate on the tomatoes once we noticed it, but it still was/is a problem.  This photo above is one day’s clean-out of the affected fruit.  The good news is that we still have lots of tomatoes that seem to be doing well!

This entry was posted in Farming, Kitchen Garden. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *